Friday, October 8, 2010



I have a thing against libraries. I always imagined that books are to be bought, wrapped in neat clear sheets, read diligently and then stacked high up in the home bookshelf for the next generation. You may disagree but there is a feminine fascination in owning stuff that is hard to deny. As a result, a large portion of my petty paycheck would be spent at Crosswords or Landmark monthly.... to an extent that it got fairly large. I also have a very bad habit of running through a book, as one would gobble up a piece of cake, so much that it takes me three to four days to devour a Salman Rushdie masterpiece.

A week ago I stumbled across a new age library - Just Books. I call it new age for a reason - it does not have issue cards, it does not smell of paper, it does not have books with yellow pages, it does not even have table and chairs to sit down and study and it certainly does not have a sixty year old librarian with a perpetual frown and hanging spectacles.

It does not house your science fiction and pulp classics. However, it does have the top of the charts flicks and the occasional Calvin and Tintin - so yes, it does serve the purpose! I am milking my Rs. 150 per month membership for all it is worth. I have already devored an Amitav Ghosh, a Tintin, a Dan Brown and a basics of accounting book.

No comments: